TopBand: antenna installation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: antenna installation
From: baycock@hiwaay.net (Bill Aycock)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:25:13 -0500
Scott-
There a couple of questions that may enfluence the answer.- 1. what are you
"spooling" the line on?. If it is a spinning reel, fine, if not, or not a
reel that lets the linefeed off the end of the reel, without turning it,
you have a problem.

I use a "wrist Rocket", and a very cheap spinning reel and pole, purchased
at the grocery store. I brace the  pole near the tree, pointing upward.  I
move off to a comfortable distance, reeling out the line as I go. When I
shoot, there is no sudden acceleration of the line (that is what breaks
them), but the first part of the shot is with a slack line.
 The natural drag in the air, as the weight climbs, will start the line
feeding off the reel, so it never sees a "jerk".

Works for me.

Bill- W4BSG

At 05:36 PM 9/23/98 EDT, you wrote:

>Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a fishing line shot up through
>or over a tree for my new Inv-L?  I am using a slingshot (wrist rocket
>type), 10 pound test line and some lead fishing weights, but when I shoot
>these rascals they keep breaking the line.  I've tried 30 pound test line
>and it seems to be too heavy, it will not unspool when I shoot it.  The
>tree limbs are too far apart to climb.
>
>And suggestions or experience with fishing line and a slingshot please
>email me direct.
>
>Scott  K8SM

Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
 Woodville, Alabama, US 35776