TopBand: 4-square

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 4-square
From: feutz@wctc.net (Ron Feutz)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:42:59 -0500
I laid out my 4-sq. this weekend in my heavily wooded and overgrown
creek bottom.  Finally found an arrangement where I could put 4-50'
push-ups without having to cut any major trees.  I'm about ready to
order my  "stuff", but would like advice on a couple more points first.

Since it will be in the woods and subject to falling branches, etc., I
would like to build the verticals as robust as I can. Is philystran(sp?)
worth the extra cost over dacron rope as guy material?

If so, source for philystran?

The verticals will be 50' with top loading wires, 2 or 4 each, coming
down at probably a 45 degree angle.  Will 50 ohm phasing lines from the
ComTek box give me a better match than the 70 omh line recommended for
full-size elements?  I'll be using 4-1/4 wave radials elevated 6 feet
on each vertical.

When this project is done, I'll post all relevant responses along with
my experiences.  Please answer direct.

73,

Ron WA9IRV