TopBand: 4-square

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 4-square
From: feutz@wctc.net (Ron Feutz)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:33:23 -0500
I want to build a 4 square.  I will probably use commercial verticals.

Questions:

        I'm leaning toward Gladiator top loaded antennas.  Opinions?
        Alternatives?

        Phased or parasitic?  Opinions/experiences from anyone who has
        experience with either/both please.

        If phased,  I'm aware of ComTek phasing box.  Any others
        available?

        The main reason I'm doing this is receive.  I have just enough
        room for the 4-square but not enough for decent Beverages. I    also
have
highlines next door.  Will gain/FB ratio advantages
        of 4-sq. as RX ant. be negated by the vertical polarization, in
terms
of S/N ratio? I know this depends on many variables. I'm                just
asking for opinions from those who can compare RX
        performance of a 4-Sq. to other RX antennas. My noise level is
consistently S9 on my Inv.-L and Inv.-V, S1-3 on my                     290'
Beverages.

        Reply direct please.

WA9IRV - Ron