TopBand: Tuning 2 tuners

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Tuning 2 tuners
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 12:09:11 -0400
Hi Mike,

> We use a 1/4 wave vertical fed with 500 ohm open wire.  The idea of the
> tuners was to do unblanced/balanced/tuning at the transmitter and
balanced
> /unbalanced/tuning? at the antenna.

I hope you are not feeding a grounded vertical directly with a balanced
line! The line will almost certainly radiate like crazy!

> ohms?? THe vertical is about 100 ohms on AES Analyzer.  I hate to think
> about tuning 2 tuners at once, seperated by 900 feet.

Open wire line should be low enough loss no matter what the SWR is, IF you
can solve the balance problem at the antenna. A choke type balun would work
for that end of the system.

I don't understand why the antenna measured 100 ohms on a 1/4 wl vertical,
that indicates the antenna or analyzer has something very wrong or very
strange going on.