TopBand: ZL8RS and good conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZL8RS and good conditions
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 06:05:48 +0800
I guess you have got to take the yin with the yang with this game.

For the last week, I have been trying to work ZL8RS at my sunset.  Despite
Bob putting excellent signals into the USA and eastern Australia after
1130Z, his signals have at best reached RST 339 here.  It has been very
frustrating to listen to the VK2 and 3 boys working him with S5 - S7 signals
- what a difference a couple of thousand miles extra make!

I knew Bob ZL8RS was going to be on later on Saturday, but in between family
commitments I managed to be off-air at exactly the time he came on.  This
meant on the Sunday evening, I was even more determined to be on at the
right time.

Although there was no ZL8RS heard at this end, at 1043Z Tom W8JI was an
excellent signal, peaking RST579, with deep QSB.  Tom came back with an
RST459 report.  I have never before heard a signal east of the Rockies at
this time of year - eastern USA doesn't usually come in here until much
closer to the equinox.

Later in the evening, UA0LDY was coming through with a good signal, as was
Earl K6SE, working Bob, VK3ZL.  For those in the US and South East Asia who
are chasing a VK3 contact, Bob has a superb signal and is active virtually
every evening through the US sunrise times, often around 1830 on CW and 1840
on SSB.

There may have been no ZL8 QSO for me, but it was nice to see some life in
the band.  At my sunrise on Sunday, I copied several weak European signals
in the contest, including DA0HQ (hi, Dietmar!), but could not make any QSOs.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ