[Fwd: TopBand: Vertcal V Dipole]

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: TopBand: Vertcal V Dipole]
From: prforbes@tbsa.com.au (Peter Forbes)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 18:02:56 +1100
JIM WROTE:

>Paul
>Steve said that in VK6 the horizontal antennas appear to work better
>than verticals. You indicate that it is important to have a scientific
>basis for how things work. With horizontals working better "down under"
>than verticals. Here in the northern hemisphere we find that verticals
>work better on the long haul for 160 mtr DX. Nature has a way of
>balancing things out. Having verticals work better in the northern
>hemisphere and horizontals work better in the southern hemisphere is an
>example of mother nature balancing things out.
>
>I do not know the symbol for "tongue in cheek" comments is do you ?

Jim,

The answer to this question Jim, lies in the game of golf.

Given that the southern hemisphere is REALLY on top of the northern
hemisphere (ask any astrophysicist):

When you play a golf shot with the wind you hit it high and let the wind do
the work.  In the southern hemisphere you fire the signals at high angles
and let them float DOWN on the northern hemisphere.

When you hit a shot into the wind you keep it low, as the northern
hemisphereans have to do on 160mx when firing UP to the southern hemisphere.

The symbol for tongue in cheek is ((-)).

Cheers

Peter   VK3QI

P.S.  I use a vertical since I don't have enough space for a full sized
dipole!!!!  (that's why I spend so much time on the golf course).

73