TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 08:25:14 +0000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:59:04 +0000

> I would like to see the results of an experiment involving the two types of
> antenna carried out in a
> manner similar to those carried out in Forensic experiments where to two
> items are compared
> in a LIKE with LIKE manner.

That's the method I used. The reason I did it that way was because it
eliminates many errors.

It's good to see someone else recognizes and appreciates the large
errors in comparing dissimilar systems. I wonder why those who
promote FCC measurements of test antenna with elevated radials don't
understand the very large errors in multi-step comparisons of
dissimilar systems in dissimilar locations with dissimilar instruments
and different operators making the measurements.

That sloppy data gathering system would never fly for medical tests.

> In this context two verticals at the same site
> but not interacting,
> constructed in the same way, with the same uncluttered foreground, feed
> with same feed system.

Actually ONE vertical with only the ground system changed is much
much better, and the method I used and will use again here on 160
instead of 3.7 MHz.

Good points Clive! Few people seem to really understand measurement
method sensitivity and how to avoid errors. I'm impressed with the
talent on this reflector.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com