TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:56:28 EST
I will try and be brief.

Eric are you then saying that the BCB requirements/measurements have
pretty much no bearing on DX oriented 160M operators?
If you read published info on "optimum" angles, it can then be assumed
that those below 10-15 degrees are not usually necessary on 160. I am NOT
claiming that those articles are accurate.

So then for 160M or 80M, what is the optimum angle field strength for say
a 6 elevated radial system. What is the angle of maximum radiation for a
6 radial system, 20' high over average ground?

If I understand you correctly, then measuring FS at some XXX point at
zero degrees elevation is a waste of time since all you are confirming is
the FS at the lowest point of the lobe, and you still have no idea what
it is doing at useful skywave angles.

I do know that my minimal elevated system is doing something right. There
are just too many times when 9M2AX calls me year after year while I am
working EU at my evening. Later, on a higher band he often tells me I was
the only USA station that he could hear and I was at similar signal
strengths as the EU. Optimal angle or just blind luck?

Reply directly if you do not want to clutter up the reflector.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]