TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 14:51:56 EST
On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:00:43 -0600  Dave Raymond-CSUS04
<Dave_Raymond-CSUS04@email.mot.com> writes:
>I have an elevated vertical (GP) on 160. . . it's hung off of the 120'
>guy ring of a 130' rotating tower. . . it has about a 35 degree slope
>it.  It's fed 10' off the ground and has 3 elevated radials about 10'
>off the ground.  It's sure not a dummy load. . . from Iowa, I've
>worked
>87 countries on it since I put it up Oct 26.
>
>73. . . Dave
>W0FLS

Sounds good Dave.
My wire verticals are full size also and hung from the top guys of a 180'
tower. They are about 50-60' apart total at the top and 130'  apart at
20' above ground with 12 or less elevated radials (the less is based upon
what breaks since they are only #16 ). The feed is a basic ON4UN 78
degree hunk of coax switched into 2 noise bridge measured 1/4 wave lines.
I can also feed both in parallel so I wind up with NE or SW cardioid or
NW/SE broadside. Real basic, simple and no funny parts to fail...just 2
cheap DPDT relays and some 75 Ohm freebie drop cable RG-11 for feeds.
Main feed line is 250' of 3/4' CATV hardline...also free.
Pattern varies depending on gnd and band condx but 15-20 dB F/B is
typical.
With a LK500ZC at 1200W and 264 countries I cant complain.
Hearing the DX is usually the primary factor.

73  Carl  KM1H