TopBand: Re:Balloons

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re:Balloons
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 01:24:05 -0800
<19980305.164746.4487.2.k4tsj@juno.com> <34FEE4DF.308@mail.wdn.com>
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

Am still trying to clean up the mess from my move, and finally came
across the weather balloons I have been using for the past 30 years or
so. ( not the originals, BTW )

For those of you in the Metro Atlanta area, I bought these from Hodges
Army/Navy Surplus on 41 about a rock throw below the Big Chicken.

I noticed also that these balloons are marked "made in Japan exclusively
for Safesport Mfg. Co., Denver, Colorado." These are 6 footers marked
No. B239. Might be interesting for one of you guys in Denver to check it
out.

Incidentally, I inflate them to about 4', use #18 for the 1/2 wave
vertical ( the first 70' is #12 tied to a line between 2 large pines.
Keeps some of the lifting weight off the 250' or so of wire
needed. Feed system is a parallel LC with the coil tapped about 8 or so
turns up from the
bottom.

Have never had to add helium during weekend. Incidentally, Helium can
"leak" through the
hardest steel know to man, of whatever thickness. ( course, it takes a
little longer )

FYI ( and kudos to all of you on Topband---still have to get an antenna
up-- but this is about
the most informative and "nice" reflector I've seen.

73

Ed