TopBand: ZL long path from Europe (160/80m)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZL long path from Europe (160/80m)
From: john.devoldere@innet.be (John Devoldere (ON4UN))
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 23:41:17 +0000
This message is addressed especially to top band and 80 meter DX-ers in
Europe.

During many, many year of DX-ing on 80 meters (more than 30 years) I have
worked ZL's at our sunrise at about every day of the year. I know
G-stations have an even beter path to ZL in the morning.

On 160, I know G-stations do it very regularluy around equinox, but for me
this is rather unsual because I have to do it 30 to 45 minutes after my
sunrise.

On 80 meters, on the other hand, I think I must have had many many hunderds
of QSO's with ZL stations in the morning.

Now my question.  I would like to hear from the European stations, who
regularly work those ZL stations (long path at European sunrise0, if they
have any data on what DIRECTION the signals come from.

My personal experience is that the signal direction, year after year,
season after season makes a 90 degrees swing from coming across South
America in our summer, across Central America around equinox and finmally
bacross the USA in winter time.

I wonder if anyone can help me to either confirm this or to deny this. I
know there are numerous low banders that have access to directional
antennas, so there must be some experience about this question.

I would appercaie any comments on this question.

Many thanks and good DX,

John, ON4UN
*            John Devoldere, ON4UN, AA4OI, OT8T               *
*             e-mail: john.devoldere@innet.be                 *
*                address: Poelstraat 215                      *
*                         B9820 Merelbele                     *
*                         Belgium                             *
*                 mailing addres: P.O.Box 41                  *
*                                 B9000 Gent,                 *
*                                 Belgium                     *

*  PLEASE CALL US IN THE CONTESTS (ON4UN OR OT8T). THANK YOU! *