TopBand: Top-Band(ung) Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Top-Band(ung) Report
From: dl8wpx@indo.net.id (Joerg Puchstein, YB1AQS)
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:36:04 -0000
Hello everybody,

was late today - talking too long yesterday evening
with Wil DJ7AA and his XYL Tina DL6MYL on 20m.

Got to the band 2130Z and found it totally crowded,
full with Europeans and all listening up in the
Japanese band. Couldn't find a frequency to call,
but fortunately the JA's went into the sun just when
my sked time arrived with K1ZM. SP2FAX was CQ'ing on our
sked frequency but went away after Japan closed, only
to come back when I started calling - new country, tnx!!

Then it happend - exactly at sunrise. Thank's specially
to LA8WG and DJ7AA keeping EU standby and notifying me.
First came Jeff K1ZM and shortly after calling a bit
higher Jack VE1ZZ. That was again a new country (VE) and
zone no.21 this season and my first longpath QSO on 160.
Congrats to Jeff for #290 and thank's Jack for the new one.

The next new country came shortly after - EA3JE was
calling CQ on 1830.

So, that's a good ratio - three new ones and a new zone
in 15 minutes. Now it's 45 min. later and I'm still excited.

BTW - Don K5AQ and others - Jo YC0LOW and myself were
calling yesterday evening (1200 .. 1330 and 1450 ..1520),
again without any QSO. I will be on the next couple of
days regulary. If somebody can here us without getting
thru - please drop me a note. It's sometimes difficult from
here to get a feeling for the band and the noise level
- 95% of the time it's just zzzzzzz....
(exception: lot's of statics, dozens of fishing buoys).

See you all hopefully next weekend,

Seasons greetings

73, Joerg YB1AQS (OI33)