TopBand: Re: VS6DO (was 3x)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: VS6DO (was 3x)
From: danmec@inet.uni-c.dk (Ragnar Otterstad)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:43:57 +0100
As one who had the pleasure  of knowing the true gentleman and  visiting
and operating from VS6DOs station let me tell you it was not " a tuned wire
thrown out of the window". It was tuned all right but going up from the
roof !

Paul lived on the top floor and had access to the whole roof, where he had
installed a tower with his beam etc.The antenna on 160 was very high above
the ground, as it was a high rise building on the Kowloon side.  But he had
plenty of noise too.

He told me that he had an automatic keyer, which would send out CQ on 160
while he was watching TV or reading a book. He would then go in and listen
frequently.I seem to remember he made WAS on 160 !

Paul loved to build QRO amplifiers and he did it well. The 1.5 KW output
amplifier he had when I was there was a nice piece of work and performed
very well as whoever listened to his signal could testify.

Unfortunately for us, Paul decided to resign from his government job, which
entitled him to this super QTH which cost a small fortune in HK. They moved
to a more modest home later with only a small vertical. I think Paul was
not very active after that.  They bought a piece of land in Fresno or
Visalia,Ca  after having decided USA was a good place for a multi-racial
family. His beautiful wife was Chinese and they have lovely children who
seemed to have inherited the best of both worlds.