TopBand: shortend bev antenna question ???

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: shortend bev antenna question ???
From: cwdxer@snet.net (robert dugan)
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 23:20:48 -0500
Hi, this is Bob, I am new to the TopBand DX game and have had limited
experience with bev type antennas.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  I am limited to 400' space max, the starting point is 300
ft from the house.  The set up is as follows:  The first 200' is on
level ground, the second half of the bev has a down hill slope to the
end.  So the slope heads toward Eu.  At the start of the bev, I have a
6' ground rod, a 9-1 balun, the wire is up 6-8' on average.  At the end
of the bev I have a 500ohm 2watt carbon resistor to a 6' ground rod.
This set up seems to hear o.k. but not much better than my inverted L.
My questions are:

1)  Would I be better off going to a slinky type set up, if so how many
slinkys would I use?

2)  Is it possible or is there any advantage in having a part slinky
part regular bev antenna?  Can the first 200' be slinky and the rest
wire? Or will it even work??

I appreciate any info you can pass along.  Please respond directly to
cwdxer@snet.net

Hope to hear you on top band, 73 bob  N1NY