TopBand: Comment on slinky on 40 meters

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Comment on slinky on 40 meters
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 14:29:09 EST
Tnx for the comments Mel.
I use mine regularly on 40 and 30M but sometimes a preamp helps on 30. On
40M they are used when rain/snow static wipes out the yagi.

On Saturday  I put up a new 5 Slinky Beverage on AF to replace a 7 yr old
rusty one. This time I terminated in 1200 Ohms but still used the 9:1
matching xfmr....had a few spares all built.
I noticed exceptional F/R; over 30dB but it may just have been condx. It
will take several weeks to be certain but I'm already thinking about
wiring a 2:1 xfmr to run off the 9:1; that should be close enough to what
I need for a 75 Ohm feedline.

One other thing surfaced in the memory here. Many months ago someone
mentioned that a regular Beverage made from galvanized fence wire was
also very quiet and appeared to offer significant  SNR improvement over
copper wire. Since the Slinky is cadmium plated steel I wonder if there
may be some correlation.

I spent considerable time listening on 80 and 160 during CQWW and noticed
that I was hearing many, many calls Q5 wheras other US stations...mainly
multis, were not replying at all or lots of QRZ?  The exception was K1KI
who was hearing very well indeed.

I now have 4 conventional Beverages of 500-900' lengths and 4 Slinkys of
175'. I intend to do a lot of listening and A:B switching and get a
better feel for things.

73  Carl  KM1H