TopBand: Nightmare in VK6!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Nightmare in VK6!
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 05:37:36 +0800
I had just got on the band about 10 minutes before my sunrise when I heard a
station called 'QRL?' on 1826.  The next thing I knew, the station
identified as 5B4ADA - a new country - but was calling QSX 10 in the JA
window - where I can't transmit.  I gritted my teeth and called and called,
hoping he would listen on his Tx frequency.

Taking the other VFO, I scanned the band and heard another station of
similar strengh signing with a station on 1832.  The call drifted through
the QRN... 'de 5B4AGC VA'.  Just as I went to swing the paddle, a low volume
wall of European stations exploded into life calling him.

For about four minutes, I moved between the two frequencies, as the sun came
up, listening to Europeans working 5B4AGC (one giving him RST599-plus 10dB)
and 5B4ADA listening in the JA window.  Then both stations quickly faded
down into the noise.  I switched off the radio a sadder but not wiser man.
What made things worse was I've just discovered 5A2A was on the band...at
least I couldn't hear him, I suppose...

73,

Steve, VK6VZ