TopBand: cheap gamma/omega capacitors for shunt fed towers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: cheap gamma/omega capacitors for shunt fed towers
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 97 09:55:30 -0500
At 11:09 PM 1/31/97 -0500, Larry Higgins wrote:
>I tried coax stubs several years ago.  RG8 worked fine on the exciter.
>When I fired up the amp there was a blinding flash at the base of the
>tower.  The RG8 had metamorphosed into charcoal.  The coax was foam
>dielectric; never thought of using teflon coax; that sounds like a great
>idea, and it's proven.

Another viewpoint:  I used to use coax stubs as capacitors but stopped
doing so after I made some measurements which showed significant
resistive loss (several ohms) in long stubs using RG 213.   I  never
fried any lines but the idea of tolerating any loss in a vertical antenna
system did not appeal to me.  The teflon dielectric lines or hardline
would probably be better although I haven't measured any.  Since the
loss tends to decrease with shorter lengths, using coax for short stubs
is probably OK, however.

73, John W1FV