TopBand: Supplemental Long Radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Supplemental Long Radials
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 17:39:56 -0500
At 05:28 PM 10/20/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I recall reading some time ago (probably in the early 80's) that adding a
>few relatively-long radials to a vertical would result in a pattern
>distortion which would cause the pattern to favor that direction a bit.
>
>I've been unable to find that reference.
>
>I currently have 96 radials on the surface of the ground, most 100-feet long
>and some 50-feet long, intermixed. I have space to run half-wavelength
>radials towards Europe/Africa. Is this likely to be worth the effort if I
>want to improve my signal just a little bit?

A radial cut to a certain frequency completely looses its resonance when
placed on the
ground. This can be proven by placing a dipole on the ground and searching
for resonance.
You will not find any!

Don't waste you time measuring radial length. Just put down as many as you
can, as long
as you can, in every direction you can.

(You elevated radial guys please disregard all of the above....a whole
'nuther subject!)

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC