TopBand: I love this band !

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: I love this band !
From: w9vne@fuse.net (James S. Danehy)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:29:23 -0400
Jeffrey Maass wrote:

> I'm located just NW of Columbus Ohio, about 175 miles from Indy. Since
> around September 1, I've worked 41 countries, and heard another 4 that I
> haven't been able to work (yet), generally due to timing.
>
> Antenna is nothing spectacular: inv-L, 45-feet up, 99-feet out, matched
> with 2.25:1 unun, originally with 3 elevated radials at 7 feet, now 96
> radials on the ground (about half-and-half 50' and 100'). Receiving antenna
> is 250-foot 2-wire NE/SW Beverage and also an 80M dipole at 65'.
> FT1000MP/Alpha 91B help a lot.

I am located probably 100 miles south of Columbus and Indy both. Last
week I heard K8ND with a signal that I thought was coming from down the
street. I use a modified TS 930s and Jeff's signal was against the end
of the meter. STRONG ! Just a few minutes before I heard Bill N4AR who
is located in Lexington, Ky about 100 miles south of me (that puts me
mid point between Jeff and Bill). N4AR had a decent 599 + 20 but Jeff
had him by 40 + db. Bill is using a 4 square. I guess it pays to be
strong overseas rather than locally.

I have to agree that this band is something. Some nights I can not hear
squat or work squat. Then geez it feels like I am running QRO and the
best antenna money can buy. I run an inverted "L" like Jeff with fair
amount of ground radials. Power is only 600 watts.

I have trained my cat to nibble at my elbow (bites me) to get up and
check the European sunrise. (No kidding). XYL knows I'm crazy and cat is
getting fatter by getting fed at 1 am. Off to bed now.

73

Jim W9VNE