TopBand: Re:

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re:
From: ni6t@best.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:00:46 -0700
Just throwing an arbitrary noise antenna out there is not unlike, when
trout fishing, just walking up to a river, throwing in whatever bait,
lure or fly strikes you, at whatever spot appeals to you, and then
pronouncing the river devoid of fish when an immediate strike is not
experienced.

Finding the right noise antenna may take a great deal of effort, and the
odds are high that, once you find one that "works" for a specific noise
on a specific band, it will be mediocre for any other band or noise. So
you may need an arsenal of noise antennas to battle different noises.
The right one may well reduce the noise dramatically--40 dB is not
unrealistic. I've done that here. My ANC-4 is not on all the time, and
is not helpful all the time, but when it is, it is invaluable.

Just remember---noise cancellation requires summing the
singal-plus-noise with a noise signal which is EXACTLY the same
amplitude and EXACTLY out of phase with the noise component.

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Visit the Northern California DX Club home page: