TopBand: BELDEN 9913 vs RG-213 (connectors)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: BELDEN 9913 vs RG-213 (connectors)
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 18:25:46 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-08 23:24:04 EDT, Bob KG7D writes:

<<  The problem is more related to connector design
 than anything else. Here in Las Vegas we get little rain. However it
 does usually occur in torrential downpours. I have had well taped and
 sealed connectors with dielectric displacement material still wick the
 water about 3 inches into the line. Not good at any frequency... >>

When I was at VE1ZZ last fall, I saw ingenious and cheapest mother of all
connectors, regardless of coax: Jack brings two pieces of stripped coax up,
so they are "beaming" the sky. Takes the SS hose clamp and clamps two shields
together. Solders the center wires (shortest possible) Then he does
"waterproofing" - slips two-liter plastic soda botlle over the connection
(trim the neck to fit the cables) and voila - 25 cent hardline, any coax to
any coax connection. Easy to take apart, easy to see, cable can breathe. (BTW
he uses hardline for radials, yagi elements, etc.) He has about 2000 ft of
hardline running to the beverage switch box from his house.
If Lampedusa doesn't work out I will be back from his place in CQ WW on 160.

73 Yuri K3BU, VE3BMV, CG1ZZ
 -
 ---