TopBand: Signals on 1.640 MHz: DFW?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Signals on 1.640 MHz: DFW?
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com ()
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 07:40:10 -0400 (EDT)

 I was tuning around below 160M for signals with which to test my
 Beverages, and at around 0130Z found a signal at 1.640 MHz that gave
 departure
 gates for flights to many cities around the US. I believe I heard them
 identify themselves as being for Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) airport, and it
 definately was strongest on my Southwest Beverage. Can someone confirm this?

 I heard a similar station on 1.680 MHz.

 Does anyone know a source for information on stations above 1.600 MHz?
 There seem to be a number of AM stations (including broadcast stations?)
 in this range, judging by the signals heard tonight. I have the National
 Radio
 Club's AM Station Map Book for stations below 1.600 MHz, but nothing for
 stations above.

 Something on the Web would be wonderful!

 73,

 Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
       USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
       25000 Members in 2000!

Jeff,
This is what is known as a TIS (Traveler's Information Service) transmitter.
They are authorized either on the low end of the AM band (530 kHz), or on
the high end of the AM band (above 1600 kHz).  They are low power usually
about 10 watts or so and are authorized on a temporary basis.  All of the TIS
transmitters will be displaced between 1610 and 1700 kHz once the  AM
stations that are migrating to the expanded AM band (1605 - 1700 kHz) come
n the air in a year or two.

Normally you will find the TIS stations near airports or near highway
construction.

73.........de Goose W8AV

 -
 ---