TopBand: 160M Beacons

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M Beacons
From: jimkn4qv@juno.com (James c Rogers)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 21:58:27 EDT
Topbanders:

Can anyone educate me on several beacons (at least I believe they are
beacons) I hear regularly on topband.

The first is ZE55 on 1801.9,  last night it was heard  about every 5-6
minutes and would send ZE55 then a tone, three times.  Is this a United
Kingdom beacon in the caribbean area, or all the way from the north
atlantic? Or are the call letters unrelated to international callsign
allocations?

The second is SK24 at 1914.85.  It also sends a tone after each call.
Surely this IS NOT
a Swedish beacon, I just don't have the "ears" to hear Sweden, except for
the strongest and best stations topband stations..

Does anyone know who these signals belong to? It would sure help me to
understand propagation on topband if I knew where these signals are
coming from.

Thanks,

Jim N4DU

jimkn4qv@juno.com