TopBand: Inverted-L Questions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Inverted-L Questions
From: jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Jeffrey Maass)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 12:19:48 -0400 (EDT)
I have an inverted-L which has a vertical section 45-feet high, with an
approximately 99-foot horizontal wire, which slopes up to my 70-foot tower
approximately 170-feet away. Match is via a 2:1 transformer at the base
(no capacitor or tuner (yet)) and elevated radials.

Common advice is to get as much vertical section as possible to maximize
the low-angle effectiveness of the antenna.

Do I get "credit" for the vertical componant of the sloping top wire, or
would I best be advised to add 5-10 feet to the vertical section (at the
sacrifice of some mechanical strength)? The top wire would still be
tied-off to the same level on the tower.

73,

Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!

 -
 ---