TopBand: ZK1XXP

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZK1XXP
From: grhosler@imation.com (Gary R. Hosler)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:39:04 -0500
T'was a different story here in the black hole.  I went into the shack at
10:00Z and they were good copy (S4) with a nice pile up.  GREAT operator,
always confirming the call of the station they worked.  Called them about a
dozen times and figured that I'd let the dog out, shower & get ready for
work and concentrate on them from about half an hour prior to our sunrise
till just after.  WRONG!  Half an hour prior to our sunrise they were down
in the noise and very few callers.  Saw a spot on 30M and found them to be
very lite, so back to top band.  No dice!  Guess they were QSY as I
couldn't hear the ZK1XXP or the pile up.  Another lesson in top band
propagation.  Live & learn!  Guess I'll have to start listening tomorrow at
09:00Z & stay put till they are in the log.  Anyone ever see a black lab
explode?

de Gary  W0AW

wb4iuy@ipass.net on 09/24/97 10:21:12 AM