TopBand: 160m shortened dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160m shortened dipole
From: CP2235@aol.com (CP2235@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 09:26:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hello to everybody,

I placed the following question on the towertalk reflector already, but maybe
you have something to offer here too

I am considering building a short 160m Vee Dipole with the apex
around 25m (80ft). I know it is not a DX blaster but is about
the only thing I can squeeze in.
Also the two halves of the dipole cannot be longer than
around 24m  (78ft). So in each length there is about 16m (53ft)
missing.
As I do not like coils I want to try linear loading
as used in KLM 40m/80m Yagis for example. If I understand it
correctly, the dipole should look as follows:

(look at this terrible ascii drawing with a text editor
that uses equal letter spacing)

____________________________   ______________________________
                  _________|   |_________   <--  spacing a)
                  |_________   _________|   <--  spacing b)
                           o   o

The feedfoint is where I wrote the Z.

As I understood up to now (or am I wrong?) the total length
of the folded back section on each half of the dipole should be
about 30 percent longer than the missing length of wire.
In my case 16m (53ft) is missing, so the total length of the
folded back section should be about 21m (69ft)...?

The other question is, how can I calculate the spacing between

a)  the folded-back-section and the dipole

b)  the two folded wires in the section

Every input is welcome.

Thank you very much for responding

73, Con DF4SA