TopBand: Echoes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Echoes
From: neil@g4dbn.compulink.co.uk (Neil Smith)
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 11:57:24 +0100 (BST)
I only hear those fast loud echoes when there is some auroral activity here
at 53 45N, the delay I have estimated over the last few years is around 30ms
using a second radio and a scope, although if there is a powerful aurora the
echo is usually shorter.  The signal returned appears to have a normal tone,
but sometimes appears to show a distinct shift in pitch, could this be some
doppler effect caused by the movement of the reflective layer or am I
imagining things again?

I find propagation is enhanced the day before I start to get the strong
echoes, and by the time the echoes are loud, propagation is patchy.  There
is usually a lot of noise like rain on a tin roof coming from the north when
the echoes are active.  All I need now is a way to predict when the echoes
are going to happen and then get on the band the day before.

Nothing much to report on the band, worked EM1HO around 0030z on 24th,
YB0JAX and YC0LOW around 2230z on 26th July, heard the usual ZS/PY/CX most
mornings, nil from West Coast at 0400z.

My wife found me listening to my own QSK dits one dark winter evening and is
now totally convinced that topbanders are crazy.  I am in agreement with her
analysis.

Neil G4DBN/K1NS