TopBand: Slinky Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Slinky Beverages
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:30:43 EDT
On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:24:36 +0000 w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
writes:
>Hi Carl,
>
>I won't repeat your tirade.

I dont consider it a tirade; just total frustation with ongoing
distortions, omissions and the like. This is a technical forum, not a
lawyers convention.

>The surge impedance of a conductor is greatly affected by distributed
>inductance and capacitance. Impedance is governed by the surge
>impedance of the structure, not by the fact we "call it" a Beverage.
>Winding wire in a mutually coupled string of "coils" increases L much
>more than C. We use that effect for phase delay lines, as well as to
>wind inductors.

So what does that have to do with anything?  That is just textbook stuff
and contributes nothing to the discussion for anyone with a modicum of
technical understanding. I would prefer information that is not aimed at
dumbing down the readership here.

.
>You seem to disagree, but directivity of a traveling wave antenna is
>GREATLY affected by PHYSICAL length. It is possible to get good
>directivity in short antennas, but phase delay and current
>distribution along the wire needs to be correct. (Any antenna,
>however, is always better than no antenna at all.)

Pure Tom style distortion of what I said.  I have made no claim
whatsoever of pattern, impedence or any other electrical term that you
can conjure up.
I have repeatedly asked one and all for feedback so that we can all
understand.
My ONLY claim is that the Slinky Beverage (for the want of a better name)
works well in a limited space and appears to offer a better S/N ratio
than a 1 wave long wire version. That is MY observation here, no science
involved....just QSL cards. I do not have the space to install 1000' +
versions to compare; and anyway I am reasonably sure the 1000' +  ones
would be superior.

Last season a university EE Professor with a PhD attempted to explain the
theory and differentiate between a traveling wave and a slow wave
structure. After one demeaning reply from you he gave up.

If you would care to talk to people, not down, a lot of the tension would
be gone for good here and on other reflectors you visit.  I would even
promise to contain my sarcasm at least 98% of the time.

>If you send me a Slinky Beverage, and the typical dimensions you
>suggest, I'd be happy to measure the surge impedance and
>propagation delay along the wire.

You are quite welcome to join in and purchase 5 of them Tom. The
dimensions I use have been published here repeatedly  AND  for the
umpteenth time, the dimensions I use are completely arbitrary  and were
selected to fit my property.  No mumbo jumbo on this end.
I would hope to believe that a true engineer would want to vary both the
number of individual Slinkys and the overall lengths as part of his
tests. Then publish the findings for peer review. Maybe I am confused
here; I consider an engineer and researcher to be one and the same.

>If have personal comments, please reply by e-mail or in person.

Does that sound like an invitation for a grudge match at the drag races ?
What class are you running in these days?

73....Carl   KM1H