TopBand: EWE antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: EWE antennas
From: stans@netos.com (Stan Seiffert)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 21:46:31 -0700
I am planning to build 1 or more EWE antennas for 160.  I am interested in
inputs from anyone who has had experience using these antennas for weak signal
dx.   Especially,  does the transmit antenna or it's radial ground system
affect the performance of the EWE?  Is a simple ground rod adequate or is a
radial system required for the EWE ground termination?  Is pickup on the coax
lead in a problem or can the gain loss be made up at the receiver?  etc. etc.
I have a quiet (no man made local QRN)  location and am using a T antenna ( 60
ft vertical) over 4 elevated radials 10 ft above rocky soil for transmitting.
I don't have room for a full length beverage.   How does the EWE compare to a
one wavelength beverage?  Any comments appreciated.

                                   Stan             W7AWA