TopBand: 160 band plan/band segments(LONG)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 band plan/band segments(LONG)
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 15:24:51 -0500 (EST)
Contesters:

        I recently posted the following on the Topband reflector
which was a follow-up to some discussions we have had about SSB
and CW conflicts on 160.  I would like to also solicit your input
since we have more DXers than Contesters on our subscriber list.
Please give me your opinion on one of four FCC-mandated CW only
alternatives if you have had experience on 160...contesting or
otherwise.  Here's my original post including attachment from K1KI,
which you should probably scroll down and read first:

"Topbanders:

        Attached is a copy of a response from Tom K1KI who is the
Director for ARRL's New England Division.  We are indeed very
fortunate to have a Director like Tom who is active on 160 and
understands the need for FCC mandated mode segments on 160.  Tom
has suggested that we try to reach a consensus on our initial
recommendation for FCC segments prior to raising the issue at the
next meeting of the Board.  We can then later discuss the need for
modifications to the existing voluntary bandplan for issues such as
recommended windows for digital modes, CW DX, SSB DX, JA's, etc.

        To keep things simple and be sensitive to Tom's comment
about "not taking something away",  I suggest we choose among the
following alternatives:

1.  1800-1840 CW (including other narrowband modes like digital).
    1840-2000 All modes.
Comments:  Most like the defacto situation today and therefore
the least "take away" from anyone.  Practically, this would mean
that the lowest frequency a USA station could use on LSB would be
1843 unless they wanted to risk FCC citations.

2.  1800-1845 CW (including other...)
    1845-2000 All modes.
Comments:  This might allow a little wider defacto DX window for
SSB since more EU and other stations could operate where they normally
do and listen split on 1848 and above for USA.  Downside is that it
is a "take away" for SSB stations currently operating below 1848.

3.  1800-1850 CW (including other...)
    1850-2000 All modes.
Comments:  Even more of an SSB DX window but also more of a take away
for USA SSB stations currently using 1840-1850.

4.  Do nothing.  Leave the situation as it is today.
Comments:  In the current environment of deregulation, some may not
feel we need to get the FCC involved.  I personally feel that a little
more regulation, just as we have on EVERY other HF band, would go a
long ways to relieving a lot of the conflicts we've been seeing as the
band becomes more populated.  I'm as conservative and anti big government
as anyone you will find but I truly feel a change would result in FEWER
problems, complaints, etc. to the FCC rather than MORE.

        I personally favor #2 because it would create a larger
defacto SSB DX window and would also give VE SSB stations a larger
buffer space before they would be interfering with CW on 1840 and
below.

        There are certainly other alternatives than the ones I've
listed, but practically I doubt that we could ever expect to get
anything more than #3 above.  PLEASE vote on one of the above by
REPLYING TO ME and I will post the results.  You are also welcome
to publicly comment on other alternatives, discuss pro's and con's,
etc.  Comments from our overseas friends are also most welcome!

        Finally, I was VERY disappointed to see that only 3 people had
bothered to offer any comments to Tom who represents the entire first
call district!  Rather than just complaining, let's try to do something
positive to improve the situation.  Remember to make comments to your
Division Director (page 10 of any recent QST).  If we can reach a
consensus on a proposal to the FCC, we have at least one Director who
will help us put it on the Board's agenda (THANKS TOM!).

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV