TopBand: Saturday night in Boring. oring

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Saturday night in Boring. oring
From: olufsen@hnett.no (La6wea)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:26:32 +0100
Larry Tyree wrote:

> Last night there were some funny things going on with the band.  the band.
>
> There was a noticable echo on my signal after I stoped Xmiting.  miting.
>
> I heard it at first on the vertical, then found it was much louder
> when I switched to the dipole (up to S9 at times).  It lasted for
> several hours.  Wil, DJ7AA commented on packet that he had the same
> thing earlier in the evening.   ening.
>
> Did anyone else notice this?   this?
>
> I made some .WAV files which are added to my other 160 meter sound
> files.  You can get to them via the web from my home page at
> http://www.axian.com/~tree or via ftp to akorn.net in the
> pub/HamRadio/N6TRLog/TopBand/echo directory.   tory.
>
> I couldn't find anyone else who could hear it on my signal.  I remember
> a similar event from K6NA's QTH in either the SS or CQP back in 1988
> on 75 meters.  ters.
>
> The delay seems to measure out to about 250 milliseconds, which equates
> to about 45,000 miles of radio wave travel.   avel.
>
> In other news, HP3FL was worked on SSB for #148.  YL2SW's QSL arrived
> (sent direct).  My string of European evenings is still alive at
> four after finding GW3JXN and GW3YDX around 0730Z.  That was cutting
> it close!  S21XX worked on eighty.  I think he came down to 160 for a
> minute, but I didn't hear him.  Did N7UA work him?  BV7FC was on
> 1823 working up 7, but seemed to have problems hearing lots of guys.
> VK3AJJ was heard briefly.   efly.
>
> 73 Tree N6TR
> tree@contesting.com
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
> Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com
This is a common observation when we have an aurora, saturday night was
the strongest autbreak for this year but today is seems eaven stronger
because all bands are completly dead, not a single station are coming
trough. Hope it will be better the next days. By the way the aurora
activty are not so bad at all because in the beginning of an aurora we
can have superb condx.

73 Ken