TopBand: CQ160 condx

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CQ160 condx
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (AA1K Jon Zaimes)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:01:38 -0500 (EST)
At 01:33 PM 1/27/97 +0200, you wrote:

>Heard almost every state through midwest at sunday morning from KP44JN.
>Only some eastcoasters or nearby and south-east VE made copy of me.
>The band was very quiet here when no qrm. No qrn at all ! Maybe you
>guys had a bit more crashes over there or Beverages were not to north
>EU?
>
>Mika / OH8LAE

Hi Mike...Glad to be one of the lucky ones to make it through to you! We did
have quite a bit of QRN here because of storm activity. I found that 95% of
the time I was using the Timewave DSP 59+ audio filter, cranked in to its
narrowest bandwidth, to help cut through the noise.

I noticed my northern Europe antenna (aimed 25 degrees) was frequently
hearing signals better (from all of Europe, not just OH and LA) than my
central Europe antenna (aimed 45 degrees). Either the signals were skewing
to the north at those times or there was just better rejection of the noise.
The  25 degree Beverage is 450 feet long or so and the 45 degree Beverage is
about 540 feet. I wonder if others here in the U.S. noticed the same on
their Beverages? There were a few times, particularly Saturday night, where
OH and LA signals were better on the 45 degree Beverage. Unlike some
previous times, there were NO time during this test when I found European
signals better on the East Beverage.

73/Jon AA1k