TopBand: Re: Edmund balloons; questions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Edmund balloons; questions
From: jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Jeffrey Maass)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 14:23:46 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 27 Dec 1996, William Harris wrote:

> Anyone out there have information on the lifting power of Hydrogen. vs
> Helium,?  Anyone out there using it?  I see no problem with the antenna
> coming down, other than the labor of putting it back up again. Out here,
> there is nothing but jack rabbits, coyotes and rattle snakes.

I don't have the lifting data at hand, but Hydrogen will provide more lift.
I'll leave the quantification to the physics-enabled.

Perhaps more interesting, the Helium tends to leak out of the balloon more
quickly than does the Hydrogen. When we were using Kitoon-supported
antennas for 160, we used both gases at various times (whatever the OSU
Physics Department would provide: one year we used both!).

The Helium-filled Kitoon require more frequent maintenance.

DVC,

Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!