TopBand: CT Logging Prg. and the Stew Perry Long Distance Challenge

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CT Logging Prg. and the Stew Perry Long Distance Challenge
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:24:20 -0700
Dennis,

Get one of your local buddies who is not computer challenged to check into
the ARRL BBS and get one of several grid square calculating programs that
are freely available there.  there is a basic program that is easy to
operate and there is a TSR that can be used to quickly calculate someone
else's grid given his lat and long.  I have even seen a text description of
how to manually figure your own square posted somewhere and it is actually
quite easy to do.  If I can find it again today, I'll post it here.

ftp://oak.oakland.edu/pub/hamradio/arrl/bbs/programs/ is a good resource
for ham programs in general.  I found these grid related items there:

grid.com                  2 Kb    Tue May  2 00:00:00 1989
grid.exe                 33 Kb    Tue Sep  3 12:13:00 1996
grid.zip                 26 Kb    Mon Sep 23 17:24:00 1996
gridloc.zip              3 Kb    Wed Jul  7 00:00:00 1993

Also, from the same source (If you have a computer that can run windows),
there is:

gcmwin21.zip            704 Kb    Wed Aug 21 12:41:00 1996

This is a program that draws equi-azimuthal projection maps for beam
headings from any location on earth.  It can also be used to determine grid
locators.

Unless you live in a city that the corner of four squares land in, it
sounds to me like you are talking about the high resolution (6 digit)
squares.  The contest is going to be using only the 4 digit squares.  DM43
instead of DM43UG for example.

73, Eric  N7CL