TopBand: using CT in TBDC with "no grid" QSOs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: using CT in TBDC with "no grid" QSOs
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:02:44 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 02:10:21 EST

Snip...

>Hope it works, any better ideas out there for the "no grid"
>QSOs?
>
>73, Brian N3OC (ex WA3WJD)

Yes, I think a better idea for the no grid contacts is enter your own
grid.  Then the contact scores as ZERO points (or whatever the minimum
possible is).  If a station is on the test and does not know his grid, is
he a participant?  I don't think so.  Alternatively, ask the hapless chap
for his latitude and longitude and do the conversion for him if you want to
convert a non-participant into a participant.  It is NOT difficult to
determine your grid square.  It is not too much to ask for participants to
determine their grid squares.

What is the procedure in say Field Day if the station doesn't know his ARRL
section?  How much do QSOs with no section information transferred count
for the Field Day test?  Interesting...  1A AZ is the same number of digits
(not counting the space) to transfer as DM43.

If I was rare DX participating in this test (sometimes AZ seems like rare
DX on 160), I would certainly refuse to QSL a station that worked me during
the test with no grid.

73,  Eric  N7CL