TopBand: Beverage Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage Question
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (Dave / N7EX)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:22:45 -0800
Jay E Ostrem wrote:

> I understand that the beverage is a non resonant antenna, but does that
> concept change if it's not terminated.  I understand that 580ft(or there
> abouts) is a desirable length for both bands.

Per my understanding from reading Miseck's book, terminated or
unterminated makes no difference. The 580' length was chosen for pattern
considerations not termination impedance, which has more to do with
spacing between the two wire and height above ground. By the way the
580' number is really optimal for a certain set of ground conditions.
My  reading of Miseck is that if you wanted to be a purist, you would
measure your ground characteristics and then calculate an optimal length
based on the resultant velocity factor.

> If I put an inductance in the antenna that simulated 580ft, would I gain
> anything?

Not likely, if you take this thinking to the limits then a continuously
loaded beverage could be made much shorter without loss of performance.
Reported "comparative" experience with "slinky" beverages suggest that
while they work they dont work (sorta) as well as the same length of
wire streched out straight.

Cu in the "Stew" (Perry contest)
Dave
N7EX