TopBand: TopBand Polar Condx

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: TopBand Polar Condx
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 14:45:03 -0500 (EST)
The condx to Africa from the East Coast were great too; I worked 9X4WW
(1827.4) and ZS8IR (1829.9) for new ones, as well as S79MX (1832) who was
579 much of the time). Also heard 5X4F (weak though) and JY9QJ --just
briefly for a few minutes at 0350z, when he worked WB9Z. I still need JY. He
dropped out half an hour before his sunrise. 4X4NJ was weaker than usual too
at his sunrise.

I was glad to hear these guys were spreading out a bit -- not all on 1827 as
had been reported the past week. But unfortunately ZS8IR landed right on a
frequency with loud BC harmonics on much of the East Coast (1830). He was
dead zero beat with it. I listened to the frequency for Chris for more than
an hour after he was spotted on Webcluster, but couldn't separate him from
the BC signal till our qSO at 0121z. He briefly peaked up to S6-7! I know if
he had been on another frequency I could have copied him much earlier.

Reminder to DX: 1820, 1825, 1830 and 1840 generally have BC harmonics in the
part of the world that mask weak signals. Best to find a spot in between.

73/Jon AA1K