TopBand: Topband newsletter, etc

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Topband newsletter, etc
From: field@btcentre.agw.bt.co.uk (Field, Don)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 14:32:00 GMT
My apologies to those of you who have been expecting the Topband Newsletter
which normally comes out in August. My work schedule (I have made nearly 30
overseas trips so far this year) has slowed the process down, but Roger & I
hope to get something out soon.

On a different topic, I have been following with interest the debate about
what could or could not have been worked in CQWW Phone. I operated
single-band 160 for a new UK record (but a very modest score in overall
terms), with 609 Q's, 9 zones, 64 countries, for 45k points. On the first
two nights I worked only two North American stations - CG1ZZ and K1NA (at
2243 on the Saturday), but in the last couple of hours of the contest I
added K1KI AA1K W3LPL NF2L W2PV WW2Y KC1XX and W2VO. Wish condx had been
like that earlier! But clearly there was better propagation for those who
were better placed - some of the Caribbean stations (the American equivalent
of IG9 I guess) were coming in here at good strength, but of course are
disadvantaged from a score point of view that (for most of them) US contacts
are only 2 points and they don't have 60 countries right on their doorstep.
For example, VP2EZ was quite loud here and easy to work and subsequently I
see that he was low power.

73 Don G3XTT
field@btcentre.agw.bt.co.uk