TopBand: "Local" Yackers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: "Local" Yackers
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:44:35 -0500
It's not only 1850 that is private.
Few times during the CQ WW Phone, while operating CG1ZZ (I made sure I do not
step on 1850iers tows, who needs the carrier on freq. during the contest,
from the op who has nothing better to do) I would call a DX within couple of
kHz of 1850. "Policemen" would promptly come on my frequency, interfere with
my attempt to QSO, and tell me that I am interfering with QSO in progress on
1850.
The best one was when I called DX stn and KG3EG (if I remember correctly)
came on 1847 and kept asking "Are you calling me?" I did not pick the fight,
bit my tongue and quit calling.
Now question is: Is it too much for 1850 gang to move up a bit few times a
year during the contest, instead of insisting on talking about not much? Is
courtesy, understanding and decency thing of the past?
Look "no contest guys," most of the contesters are not operating during the
358 days of the year. Is it too much to ask for a bit more room on the band
in the international competition, where we try to represent the country and
push the limits of technology and operating for the rest of you? There are
WARC bands and there is the other end of the band or mode that is not
cloberred by the contest chatter. Please give us a break! It is a gentleman's
band, or it used to be. Thank you for your support!
CU on CW from CG1ZZ, it's much more fun and room and courtesy and ....
73 de VE3BMV, K3BU