TopBand: Re: : Dipole/Inv L on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: : Dipole/Inv L on 160
From: mikedev@interalpha.co.uk (Mike Devereux)
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 20:32:38 -0700
N6DX@aol.com wrote:

> HI Bob,
> You are illustrating what I have been trying to say despite QRM.  That is,
> the best antenna for you is the best antenna.  It is vastly different for
> different objectives, locations, and band conditions.  The criticism is
> directed at the comfort level of a low dipole/inverted V or a short inverted
> L because since they work so well on the East coast, most DX stations
>  believe they don't need anything better for transmit.  From our perspective
> I wish all the DX stations used verticals with a good counterpoise.  Except
> for rare high angle conditions that is the only antenna that will work DX
> from here. 73
> Darrell, N6DX@aol.com

Hi Bob.Darrel and Gang,

Here at G3SED I have a Horizontal Dipole at 85ft and since January of
this year an Inverted L. Both antennas are in a field about 400ft from my
house.
In July I improved the Inverted L several ways:-

a) I increased the vertical section from 65 to 75ft high
b) I increased the overall length to 165ft using a series C to match the
base to 50 Ohm coax
c) I put down seventy five 135ft radials laid on the ground and a square
approx 30ft by 30ft of chicken wire at the base of the vertical.

Comparing the dipole to the inverted L  (The two antennas are approx 200
ft apart)
a) at my sunset UA9 stations at 3000 miles  are three or four S points
down on the Dipole
b) at East coast USA sunset the Dipole is three or four S points down on
the inverted L
c) from around 0100Z East coast USA stations are approx. 1 1/2 S points
down on the dipole
d) Most other times and directions the dipole is approx one to two S
points down on the Inverted L. (comparisons done during July/Aug/Sept 96)
These are the comparisons to date

Since upgrading the ground system  on my inverted L I have the Gut
feeling my signals have improved by around 5 or 6 Dbs. Not very
scientific I know, but I do have 33yrs of experience on 160 HI!

The Dipole is a quiet RX antenna compared to the Inverted L but my 1500
ft E-W Beverage beats the pants off both of them in its favoured
direction.

I believe that I will not easily find another antenna to improve on the
TX performance of this Inverted L - the effort now will be in better RX
antennas.

>From January of this year I have worked 136 Countries on 160 with the
inverted L before and after the improvements - to me it's a great DX
antenna !!
I hope my experiences are of interest to you.

73's MIKE G3SED

Nevada Communications UK
Importers/Distributors of all Hobby Radio Eqpt.
HTTP://WWW.NEVADA.CO.UK