TopBand: J38DF on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: J38DF on 160
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 10:59:14 -0700
dj7aa wrote:

> Hello guys, Sigi J38DF is now the second night on 160.
> First night he was very strong, but has no copy on EU, tonite he is much
> weeker here. But the main problem, his TX QRG is qrming by an very strong
> periodical beacon here. May be somone there can tell them, better to move at
> 1822.5 ore 1828.0, much clearer her.
> Hope to here them next night better.
> 73 Wil

Wil:

I listened for him from our sunset near 0145. J38DF came up somewhere
around 0215 +/- and immediately called for EU. At first, he was
unsuccessful, but between 0230 and 0245 (times VERY approximate) he did
work several Euros, including G3SE? (about four times) and several
Germans, before surrendering to the insistence of North American
callers. He did call for EU on several occasions.

His QSB signal again ranged from very Q5 to deep in the noise. I logged
him at 0300. Shortly thereafter, there was an operator change to J38FR,
whose style is very different---faster, with almost no pause to listen
between CQ's. FR stayed on 160 quite a long time--past 0400Z.

I am sure the W4/W5 stations copy him a lot better. Perhaps one of them
can pass on your request, or you can do so yourself on the higher bands.

Good luck.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer