TopBand: Bonding Rohn Tower Sections

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Bonding Rohn Tower Sections
From: aa8u@voyager.net (Bruce (AA8U))
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 13:35:06 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Ken,

I'm not the expert you are looking for but I thought I might relate to you
my experience.

I put up a new 25G tower on an insulated base just for 160, full size two
years ago. I considered running #6 copper top to bottom at each leg. I
intended to do this, but ran out of energy. hi

As I assembled the sections, I liberally coated the mating surfaces with
Prematex Anti-Seize (sp?), mostly to insure they would be easier to take
apart some day. The Permatex keeps the sections from rusting and helps
insure good electrical contact too.

I have had no problem with this tower so far. The resonant freq has stayed
spot on all this time. I figure if sections aren't making good contact, then
the resonant freq might tend to drift. Have noted no problems so far.

Bonding the sections together could be done, but care must be taken to bond
them to avoid dissimilar metals corrosion. I still have the copper to do my
plan A, but it would be a lot of work and I am not convinced it is
necessary, yet.

I hope you have success with yours. Mine really made a big improvement over
my shunt fed 130' tower.

73,

Bruce
aa8u@voyager.net