Re[2]: TopBand: Inverted-L question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[2]: TopBand: Inverted-L question
From: George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George Guerin)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:34:57 -0400
--IMA.Boundary.184538348

Dave and Dave wrote:

Dave Hockaday wrote:

> Hi Doug and the rest of the group. Would an inverted-L, installed with the
> top of the L section at 100 ft, offer any significant improvement in low
> angle radiation over an inverted V installed at 100'?

Dave Henderson wrote:

IMHO the inverted L would be a better DX antenna on 160 meters
(most of the time). Put up both of them for a while and A/B switch
them back and forth to convince your self. You know the drill
Antenna #1.......Heeeelllllllooooowwwwwwww
Antenna #2.......Heeeelllllllooooowwwwwwww

I do recall from doing some simulations a few years back that the farther
you can get the Inverted L from the tower the better. On the other hand
if I had a 100 tower I'd probably be thinking about just shunt feeding
the tower instead...

Dave Henderson

     The problem is the 100 ft tower is guyed with uninsulated guy wires.
     This destroys the possiblities for shunt feed unless the tower is fed
     from a guy wire as a inverted monopole.

     Otherwise I would vote for the suggestion about shunt feeding the
     tower. Original article by John True, W4OQ, in Ham Radio about May
     1975. Nice two wire feeder update by Gary Breed, K9AY, in one of the
     Low Band Monitors from Lance Johnson Digital Graphics (K0CS).

     Dave, If you can spend the time to insulate your guy wires, I think it
     would work great.

     The inverted L is not a bad choice however.  It wins contests:

     John, K9UWA & P40WA used an inverted L hung off a 60 ft tall tower with
     uninsulated guys behind P40V's back yard on Aruba to win the CQWW160CW
     contest last January with a new record 1.28 million points!

     You don't have to get an inverted L too far from a tower either.  I
     have hung them anywhere from 4 to 12 feet out without any apparent
     difference in performance,  but I didn't model them either!  Just
     made lots of contacts in far away places.

     73         George          K8GG.

     PS you still need receiving antennas.
--IMA.Boundary.184538348--