TopBand: New Callsigns

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: New Callsigns
From: PChristensen@Continental.com (PChristensen@Continental.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 17:21:20 -0400
All those listed for yesterday cannot possible be vanity call sign
grants.  After digging through some of them, there appears to be a lot
of renewals mixed in with the bunch.  Additionally, some of those listed
are residual applications from gate 1 and 1A applicants.

What scares me is this:

It was too easy for someone (under false pretenses) to apply under Gate
1, and overnight their application on Thursday for a Friday delivery to
the bank.  This application would precede those coming in on the
weekend, and receive what would appear to be a legitimate grant date
(After Sept. 23). The only way to find out for sure would be to match
the stamped delivery date with the application.

Consider this: W4DX was issued last week.  Quite honestly, does anyone
really think that he waited until "the last minute" to apply
legitimately under Gate 1 or 1A?  This fella didn't even think to have
waited under the condition I set forth above.  He would have fooled
everyone.

My application was delivered at 12:03AM on Saturday morning.  If anyone
else gets my top one or two picks, I'm going to investigate.

-Paul