[TenTec] Ten Tec Orion II problem -- will not power on

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec Orion II problem -- will not power on
From: Marcus Florido <k4vbb@LIVE.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 19:52:49 +0000
In October of last year I sent my Orion II to Ten Tec for a simple alignment.
With the exception of a very minor alignment issue (perfect on 40m, 20Hz off on
10m), the rig functioned as it should when I sent it to the repair facility.

I'm sure that by now we all know that the repair facility closed down in
December, and my rig was shipped back to me by Ten Tec.  While I thank Mike for
taking care of this, and rejecting offers he received to buy the lot, I do have
a complaint.  My rig has come back to me in non-functioning condition.

The rig won't power up.  When plugged in to power only (no other connections)
there is an awful buzzing noise when I flip the switch.  The rig immediately
draws around 6 amps and drops the voltage on an Astron RS-35M to about 5 volts.
 Obviously I don't leave it in this condition, but the rig is now useless to me
until I can figure out how to fix it and where to start.

It might be important to note that I rebuilt the A9 board when I got it--worked
perfectly when I sent it in.

Has anyone else run into an issue like this?