Re: [TenTec] Meanwell SE-1500-15 and Tentec 420

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Meanwell SE-1500-15 and Tentec 420
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 08:03:18 +0700
Hi,

Meanwell seem to have a good name for these brick type smps with regard to noise, not that they are perfect or don't need help in some situations though.

I have recently been working on an SPE Expert 2K-FA amplifier. This has 2 smps units, one is unknown but the drain supply for the amplifier devices is a Meanwell RSP-3000-48, 48 volts at 62.5A. This required attention as it was refusing to start due to gecko infestation. Once cleaned the unit runs well and is near silent in the audio department. It has 2 fans at one end and these do come on when the power supply is switched to operating mode but behind the main equipment fan filter these do not make much of a sound.

Supply to the psu comes from the AC input to the amplifier and attention has been paid to AC line filtering. 2 large ferrite tubes, approximately 2.5 inches long and 0.75 inch diameter are wrapped with about 6/7 turns of the live and neutral supply wires before these go to the psu input terminals. The SPE has minimal filtering on the output of the psu as all connections are to the internal amplifier modules and these are contained inside the double screened enclosure of the amplifier.

The Meanwell supply is almost totally enclosed with heavy aluminium shielding and in the SPE amplifier this is then enclosed in the outer clamshell aluminium case. The supply is on all the time the amplifier is in the operate condition but switches to a standby mode when the amplifier is in the bypassed state.

My own very limited investigations reveal no additional noise above background nominal but my location may not be the quietest to begin with. Either way it seems perfectly fine. I have not heard of complaints related to psu noise from these or similar amplifiers so I would suggest that if you pay the same amount of attention to the input filtering as SPE do then noise might be fine.

In summary I would think that the Meanwell supply might make a good choice for a smps unit with a few caveats:
1.    Put it in a box that provides additional good screening.
2.    Ensure the input AC feed line is well filtered with an appropriate amount of ferrite and wire. 3.    If the output leads are long and exposed you may (most likely) need to add output filtering.

Many amateur high power solid state amplifiers are using switch mode supplies and I think there would soon be a slew of complaints if the messed it up. In closing I will say I was very impressed with the SPE Expert amplifier. Build quality is excellent and far better than the average amateur product and aside from a slightly old style display and dead feel touch buttons the whole thing is a quality product, definitely on my buy list.

Martin, HS0ZED