Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Any update on a replacement for the Orion II?
From: Floyd Sense <floyd@k8ac.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 16:27:11 -0400
Regarding the Orion II vs K3: I think Barry hit all the key nails on the head regarding the K3 shortcomings. One thing I'd disagree with just slightly: I don't consider the move from K3 to Orion II or vice versa to be a lateral move. I bought a new K3 early on after having used a K2 for CW work for some time. For some of the reasons Barry mentioned, I moved on from the K3 to something else for a while and for some reason elected to try a K3 again (after the P3 became available). Once again, there were some issues with it I just couldn't get past. After a brief fling with an FTDX-5000, I decided to try the Orion II. I should point out that I'm not a Tentec "fan-boy" and bought the Orion II thinking it wouldn't last long on my desk. Well, it's been over three years now, and frankly, other than the incredibly useless spectrum scope, I can't find fault with the Orion II. With NaP3 and LP-Pan as the panadapter, I think the Orion II suits my style of operating better than anything else. If I had to complain about something, it might be the unusually large footprint on the desktop. If I had to have a rig that would fit in an airline carry-on bag (isn't that the Elecraft litmus test?), then I'd have a K3 or K2. Otherwise, it's the Orion II.

One comment on the Omni VII: I got my hands on one at the Charlotte hamfest right after it was announced. What struck me was the unusually long time it took to paint a stable image of the frequency numbers on the screen as you tuned the thing. The result was that the low order numbers of the frequency readout was just a blur as you tuned the knob at anything more than a very slow rate. Just couldn't get past that one.

73, K8AC