Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 22:37:34 -0600
I had a CE 100V that I bought from a local estate sale, but I never had the time to fix it. It got swapped for a hefty Tek dual beam oscilloscope to a member of the Boatanchors List. The Gonset exciter I have is pretty much mint, but it also had a blown power transformer, which is pretty common with them. I adapted a new power transformer I bought from the outfit in El Paso, and it has worked fine ever since.

I initially bought my Corsair II to use as an IF for my VHF transverters, but once I tried it on HF, it has been in constant use ever since, and my best Argonaut II is the IF rig of choice.

I had the factory rebuild the PTOs in both the rig and the external VFO a while back, and they are working great. The Corsair II has an incredible receiver, and it worked a lot better than my Omni V.9. I use it with the Ten Tec RF Speech Clipper, and a 238C tuner, with my trap vertical, and it gets out really well.

I also use the Argonaut VI, and have had a fine time working the W1AW Centennial stations with it this week.

It is nice that Ten Tec supports their older radios so well!

73,

Steve WA9JML