[TenTec] One more for CW...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] One more for CW...
From: jerome schatten <romers@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 23:04:49 -0700
One more on this... My blind from birth buddy VE7BGJ, an excellent CW
operator in his own right, got interested in packet radio in the late
80's. We cobbled together a small lcd terminal, a tnc, an AEA morse
machine that turns ascii into CW and CW into ascii and a radio. I
think you can see the rest. He was able to send and receive email with
his ampr.org address and read and send mail to the bbs. This was done
usually in real time at 35-40 wpm CW. If he was listing the bulletins,
or listening to a verbose message, he would record the cw on audio
tape and listen/play it back later. It worked for him. He learned to
disregard all the protocol stuff that had only machine meaning.

A screen reader you say, well then he would have to learn to use a
computer and maintain it, and figure out when it wasn't working
properly and so on. A little rad-shack 5 line lcd terminal just worked
fine without the complexity.

Anyway, this went on for a number of years until the university, which
provided us with a 'real' ip address for a gateway from the internet
to 44 land got spooked because of spammers and other malicious stuff,
and shut us down. There went VE7BGJ's email and there went packet in
Vancouver. Good while it lasted. Just shows you what CW can do and
does do for some folks.

Best,
jerome VA7VV President for Life of VAPO - the Vancouver Amateur
Pacquette Org (now defunct).