Re: [TenTec] OT: coax versus parallel wire, insulated wire for aerial

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: coax versus parallel wire, insulated wire for aerial
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:39:31 -0600
On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 08:14 -0500, brent.zook@verizon.net wrote:
> My question goes to the practical.  Say we are using some version of RG8U;
> isn't it better to choke the feedline at both ends?  And what are the
> cheapest but best toroids or beads to use?  Where do you get them?  --Brent
> N9HZ
> ps was working 10m AM yesterday with the Orion, got great audio reports.

I don't see the benefit of choking the outside of the coax AT the radio.
Unless the coax connector is loose at the radio, there's no way for any
RF on the outside of the coax getting into the inside of the coax and so
to be detected by the radio. And if the radio grounds and shields are
good, there should be no problems with that bit of RF picked up by the
coax from causing any detectable problems.

Look up the specifications of ferrite toroids at Amidon. Then look for
similar materials and dimensions from Fairrite at Mouser.com. The Mouser
prices should be better.

73, Jerry, K0CQ